Tuesday, June 10, 2008

...pink and black zebra you say....

Deborah L Gray Rio Rewards Certified PMC Artist http://www.beadindulgences.com/
This will be about beautiful bright and colorful jewelry and an auction for September 2009 it will just take slogging thru a bit of facts first, stay with me please....it will be worth it.....


One of the first things doctors in training are taught is when you hear hoof beats, think horse. Well, that's not quite the way to go. In the case of Carcinoid Cancer, and you hear hoof beats, think Zebra, we are a cancer of another color, so we are a horse of a different color.


Carcinoid cancer is rare, one in a million will get this and of that one 3% will get it in their lungs ....bet you don't want to guess where mine is... with these odd's I should have won the lotto in California! But I didn't. And, I did get cancer

Since it is rare, it is often over looked in the diagnosis department. It is usually gastric and often it takes forever to get discovered. We are lucky that it can be a very slow moving cancer. However, it is a cancer. It does not respond to normal Chemo's. Interferon sometimes will work. Sandostatin is our drug of choice, from Novartis. When I take this medicine as I should, 3 injections a day, the cost runs $9,000.00 a month. I have Kaiser double coverage, so I don't have to pay. i don't know how others do it on medicare and other plans.


There are two doctors who do research and clinical work, one in New York, one in New Orleans. Dr Woltering and his group are planning a huge conferrence in September, 2009, in New Orleans. It will be with Doctors, patients and Novartis for information and talks to help with this awful cancer. At the end of the 3 days, there will be a dinner and silent auction, and the profit from this will go to Zebra House, where patients can stay during treatment at LSU. Kind of like the MacDonald house for kids. Angel flights takes care of some of the air fares, isn't that wonderful, depending on who is flying where?


So, to the jewelry part! I have been designing jewelry and playing with gems in cabs and faceted stones, and since I met a group on AOL jewelry board, who totally corrupted me( and you know who you are) beads. I just love them. Since I work in wire, first the heavy for wire wrap and now, in the beautiful thin crochet wire I can easly mix in beads and wire for beautiful amulet bags, necklaces, earrings, bridal neckware and almost anything customers can dream up.

The colors pink and black were chosen for our "ribbon color" and, a zebra. It's perfect. Now, the fun part!

I asked if some of my friends could spare some pink and or black beads, so we patients could make jewelry for the auction, and if there is enough, save the bigger pieces for the auction but sell the smaller, like the earrings I'm making now, on a website for current funds. My friends have come thru in ways I can not imagine.


Not only have they promised and/or sent beads, lampwork beads but they are making and sending finished beautiful works of art. I am humbled, and brought to tears....truly. you never know your friends till you step back....and I hated to ask, so like begging.


so, I will be posting pics of the goodies I have made, and pictures of the pieces I can get of jewelry sent in to New Orleans directly. This is only the beginning. Luckly I have a long target date, almost like they had spoken to my old editors...naaaaw


thanks for reading all this....oh, and if you have any extr.............sorry,don't know why I do that...

pat
wild poppy designs...
pat moses-caudel
http://members.aol.com/patmcaudel/2index.html

1 comment:

Jeran said...

Pat that necklace is just gorgeous! Almost as nice as the bracelet you made me with the Rhodesian Ridgebacks on it years ago! Love you.
Jeran